Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

for those of you who didn't think i could do it...

I CLIMBED A 14ER!!!!!

14, 270 ft (I borrowed this sign from a 63 yr old lady who climbed the mountain with her 2 sons to celebrate 30 years of surviving breast cancer (hence the pink ribbon) isn't that neat!?)
Here I am looking so hard core (not) by a pyramid of rocks. These things were all over the mountain. Kinda cool. We added our fair share so that (in the words of James) "we can always be a part of history."

We had to hike through some snow that has probably been there for a thousand years. :) And on our way down the mountain it actually started snowing! CRAZY!



Here James is climbing a huge, dangerous mound of rocks while I rested and ate a snack. He is quite amazing. First of all, he could have climed this mountain 3 times in the time it took me to do it once. And second, he waited for me so patiently when I wanted to rest every 30 seconds (litterally) and he didn't complain at all but instead encouraged me and said things like "I like going slower, it gives me time to look around." and "you are doing such a good job, you're so hard core!" :)

So intimidating.
I used James' "trekking poles" which helped but made me look a little amateur. Which I am.
Becoming part of history... :)

And I looked so freakin awesome doing it (not). Sometimes I wish James would tell me when I look so absolutely ridiculous... Like for example he could say "hey babe, maybe you should not pull your socks up so high." or "are you really going to wear navy blue shorts and black pants at the same time?" Just a thought. But the dorky glasses I can't really help. Contacts are not my friends these days with all the allergies and what not...

This is how I felt probably about .5 mile into the hike. I wanted to die. BUT at least I did it right!!!

11 comments:

Kim said...

Way cool! You're my inspiration....Kim

~Kara~ said...

YAY Taylor!! I'm so proud of you! You did it!! :) And don't worry...it's like impossible to look stylish while hiking...but you still look cute, as always! :) And I think we have similar hiking styles...slower with lots of rests is the way to do it! :)

tlsumner said...

Well I am soooo proud of you! The pictures are amazing! And kudos to James for being so patient..we all know he's half mountain goat!

Kali and JT said...

I think this post is directed at perhaps my last comment! Take backs! Mountain climbing is your thing! WOOT WOOT I am SO proud of you! You are SO hardcore and tough. Ps I must admit that these may be some of my favorite pictures of you that exist.

Emily and David said...

So cool- you guys are hardcore! Way to go Taylor! Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

Cool pictures! Congrats and finishing!

naomi said...

I love love love that James is giving it the "you're so hardcore" approach, and hanging out while you eat snacks hahahaha what a nice guy. And come now, we both know you can never look bad in ANYTHING. But honestly, props to you. I sortof hate/love hiking. I love the view from the top but I would probably feel just as great if a helicopter dropped me at the top and I walked down.

Luke said...

I have to admit I never thought you could do it but obviosly you proved me wrong. Isn't the view from the top amazing? We'll have to do Torrey's together sometime.

Nicole Nixon said...

I'm jealous, way to go!

megan said...

That's awesome! Looks intense!

Kris, Andrea, Lacey, Mia, and Kannon said...

how cool! you guys have so much fun!