Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

(Sad And Then) Happy Puppy Story


We decided to get ourselves a puppy for our anniversary! I found the perfect puppy online from a breeder in Kansas City. We decided to name him Ninja. He was an all black affenpinscher. (I blogged about this type of dog before saying "one day we'll get one") We had to wait about a month for him to be old enough to ship (8 weeks) and that was to be May 1st. The day came and James picked him up from the airport. He stopped by my work on the way home so that I could meet him and then he went home. We noticed that there was something wrong with him because he would not eat anything and he would throw up any liquid that he could get down. We took him to the vet on Saturday and they told us that he had pnumonia, one of his lungs was completely full of fluid, and possible worms and some kind of infection in his stomach that was causing him to not be able to digest anything. They gave us medicine and special food and told us that if he didn't improve to bring him back in 2 days.

Long story short: We got reallllllllly attached but on Monday I came home on my lunch to check on him and he was not doing well at all. He could hardly stand up, his could hardly open his eyes and he was in a lot of pain. I rushed him to the vet, and they started giving him oxygen, pain medication and tried to get his temperature up. The Doc came in and told me that he was basically "trying to die" and that the most humane thing for us to do would be to euthinize him but, while she was telling me this he took 2 deep breaths and passed away on his own.

I was a complete wreck. It was by far one of the saddest things I have ever experienced. The little guy was only 1.8 pounds, so tiny. While I wish the breeder had never sent him to us in that condition, I am very glad that we were able to give him a loving home where someone would actually care for him for his last few days. :(

Yes, we were sad, but we were also very mad at the breeder for claiming to not know about his condition. We believe that she didn't pay enough attention to her puppies to notice anything wrong. She didn't offer to pay any of the vet bills but she did offer to send us Ninja's sister from that same litter for free. I was very hesitant at first but we decided that we would let her. It would be better for us to take her than to leave her in a place where who knows what is going on.

We are SOOOOOO glad we decided to get his sister. We named her Sadie and she is so stinkin sweet. We just got her this last Friday May 22nd. She is super healthy, eats a ton, runs and plays and poops in the house! Everything a new puppy should be! We are so lucky to have her!


(I will post some pictures of both Ninja and Sadie a little bit later)

4 comments:

JaMie said...

I am so sorry, I lost a dog once when I was little and it was so sad. I'm so super sorry but happy that you have Sadie!

megan said...

That is seriously the saddest story EVER! Especially after you got attached to him and had to watch him in pain. I'm glad to hear that Sadie is happy and healthy! Having a dog is so much fun! (ps congrats on the 1 year anniversary and I'm SO sorry about your grandpa. I lost my grandma unexpectedly last summer it really is hard.)

Emily and David said...

It really is so sad, but like you said- at least Ninja was able to have his last few days being really loved and taken care of and that you guys have Sadie now. Can't wait to meet her!

naomi said...

Ninja broke my heart.